Sunday, June 14, 2015

Winding Road


Click Here to Bid (8x10in.)

This is one I did from a photo reference I took in California. It's a similar scene to this one, which I did from life. I'm still getting the hang of the difference between painting from photos and from real life. Both have their challenges. But I'm a big believer in using the paintings you did in the field to inform the ones you do inside. And I didn't do that here. I'm kicking myself because in looking at the old one now I see the grass was far more golden, and that didn't come through in the photo. But I'm posting it because I'm still happy with it over-all. Which makes me realize (again) that the point is not necessarily accuracy - it's art.

6 comments:

Mike Kennedy said...

I really enjoy your comments about your experience with the piece!

lynn bowes said...

Just want to say 'thank you' for your inspiration. I've not painted since I was in college (shortly after paint was invented) and I really have primarily focused on metalwork and lapidary for 10+ years. In the last 5 or so, I got my colored pencils out and also do highly detailed drawings mostly of hotrods. But I came across you and your blog somewhere and am thoroughly inspired. I have invested in beginner oils and brushes knowing that every little painting I churn out is an education as I play with it all. I even challenged myself to 30 paintings in 30 days and posting on my blog so I'm being held accountable! So far so good!

Anyway, that's the long way if saying thank you so much :: lynn bowes

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

This is a great painting regardless of what the reality was that inspired it. Remember, if you want photo accuracy - take a photo! Peggi Kroll Roberts says "Be a Designer when you paint!" xoxoxo

NJ said...

I agree and it's a beautiful painting!

Carol Jessen said...

I can feel the heat in this scene!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

exactly!