Tuesday, September 08, 2009

"German Neighborhood" - SOLD



Click Here to Bid (will begin Tuesday, 9/8/09, 8PM, pst)

I feel a bit like a fish out of water here. One, because my German is poor and people keep asking me questions about what I am doing - in German, no less! But also because landscapes are not something I do often. Not that I don't enjoy it - I do, immensly! But I know I am lacking skills specific to plein air painting, and I see a learning curve in front of me. Painting landscapes requires a different approach than what I have developed for still life painting. Unfortunately I am sketchy about that approach. Each night I look to my favorite landscape painters online to see how they've tackled certain things. It helps a lot, actually.

This scene, by the way, is in the town of Schluchsee - about a 25 minute walk from the house. The little road is a kind of a back alley for these beautiful, quintessential, German houses.

11 comments:

CHRIS MURRAY said...

are you kidding me? your plein air paintings are fabulous. I'm enjoying them so much and love being on vacation with you. Keep them coming.

Unknown said...

Hi Carol, I've been to Germany and as I've seen your paintings each day I've thought that it was so interesting the way you've managed to capture the feeling - your German landscapes look and feel like Germany, so different from anything here. It's clear that you're not in Texas anymore.:o) The colors are so right on. You are farther along on your learning curve than you might magine. Keep up the good work.

ski holm said...

If you're uneasy painting landscapes, it doesn't show. It might just take a while to get used to the sensory overload. They may not feel good but they certainly look good.

Carolyn Rekerdres said...

Carol, I think these landscapes are wonderful. Your special mark making is perfectly suited to the German landscape. I hope you will do some large paintings too.

Kevin Menck said...

You just describe perfectly how I feel about still lifes. When people ask me why I don't do more, I always compare it to a brain surgeon doing heart surgery. Even though he's a surgeon,it's going to take a few heart surgeries for him to really get good.
Keep at it.

Diane White said...

Carol, I love your approach to landscape as well as your still life. I appreciate the way you simplify the shapes leaving the brush marks to do the talking! It just says Carol Marine and that is a good thing!

Unknown said...

your plein airs look fantastic to me! The same richness you have in your still lifes!

Unknown said...

I notice that Karin Jurick has a list of artists that have influenced her and wondered which artists you looked to for plein air inspiration? Richard Schmid Kevin MacPherson, Greg LaRock to name just a few. So many to choose from. It's just such a great pleasure 'going out there' even if we're not always happy with the result, we usually can say it's been a great day.

Anonymous said...

Carol,
I think your landscapes are wonderful, I used to always go straight for Mike Rooney's blog because his landscapes would stand out most to me and I love to look at all the places he visits, but now since you started doing these landscapes, You are the first one I look at! I wouldn't change anything about your style, its uniquely yours and is working quite well, they are very beautiful! Forget a learning curve, just paint because what you make is beautiful and you enjoy doing it :)

Jeanne said...

all your comments say the same thing, You are an incredible artist and I love looking at your work. Jeanne

Liz said...

I think your landscapes are great - your brush skills transfer well from your other work - just wondering who your fave landscape artists are.