Thursday, May 14, 2009

"Lone Lightbulb" - SOLD



Click Here to Bid

One trick I talk about in my workshops for escaping the "floating object" trap esp. in these daily paintings - is to show, accurately, how the object interacts with it's environment. For example, this lightbulb casts a specific shaped shadow, and depending on the angle I view it from, and the angle of the light, it is slightly different. I really paid a lot of attention to this in the drawing phase of this painting and got it just right before I started painting.

A quick reminder, I have 2 workshops coming up this summer with some spots open: both 5-days, one in San Antonio at the Coppini, July 6-10 (email Donna Bland); the other in Canada near Red Deer (Alberta), August 10-14 (email me). Thanks!

11 comments:

Carolina said...

This is a master piece, imho...
Are you coming to Peru someday? I wish...

Dean Grey said...

Awesome light bulb, Carol!

The mixture of turquoise and tan in the background look great together.

Thanks for the tip about the shadow. That's the first thing I noticed about this piece.

This painting just shines! (Ahaahaha, get it?)

-Dean

Anonymous said...

The shadow works brilliantly Carol but what is even more special is that you have so effectively suggested the thinness of the glass that the blub is made of. r.

Anonymous said...

I love it when you give us some of your great painting tips. I'm a watercolor artist but so many of your tips still apply.

Barbara Pask said...

This is one of my favorites. Love the color too. Just excellent.

Liz said...

I also love it when you give tips and this is such a good example of not only your style but also your teaching skill. Wish I could do your workshop but have decided to do one in town here with Debra Huse(1200 miles closer). I am learning from you as your blog has encouraged me to paint regularly. Many thanks!

Peter Gander said...

Beautiful Carol. 'Illuminating' even ;) petergander.blogspot.com

Juan Carlos Eberhardt said...

muy bueno, todo tu blog ¡fantastico!!
un abrazo

KEITH PROCTOR Painting blog said...

Great Work.

Dayna Talbot said...

Carol....somehow I missed this one, it is great! I also really appreciate the little hints you give! The shadow, the glass...amazing

Kay Wyne said...

Carol, you made the lightbulb, such an everyday, ordinary object fun to look at. Love the shadow. I also like it when you give us a little instruction in your blog. Happy Painting!