Sunday, November 11, 2007

"Lightbulb" --- SOLD



Peter Yesis recommended that I paint something white on white, so I tried this lightbulb. I actually really like how it turned out. Pretty much every stroke required some mix of white, which was tough for me (by the way I used no black). I tend to leave out white until I absolutely can't do without it. It's something I'm really questioning. That said, I think a lot of beginner painters DO rely too heavily on white to lighten. But, this is me proving it's just as easy to go in the other direction. As with most things, I'm finding that moderation is the key. : )

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

I love what you're doing with white. This is a great study. You executed the "gallon, quart, pint" lesson perfectly.

Marilyn

Peter Yesis said...

Now who's afraid of white? Terrific idea and execution and look at all the color in there. It has depth, cool/warmth relationships. It has it all. You did it! No more fear just enjoy the painting. They make 'em brave in Texas.

Tracy Wall said...

I couldn't agree with you more about the "too much white" w/ beginners. As someone who likes high value contrasts, I'm probably guilty as charged. I need to give myself more exercises like this.

kathrynlaw said...

I heard the same comment from a professor, about "too much white"; beginners do often overuse it, putting it in *everything*, so all their colors look chalky and tentative. Those old remarks can sure leave scars, even though tentative color is certainly not a problem of yours, Carol! Thank you for working out your issues on this blog, you inspire so many painters every day with your work ethic and honest approach. Really, thank you.

Rick said...

I like your art. It was kind of funny scrolling down through your stuff... seeing apples... and then this light blub pops up. Still, the piece does have an enjoyable quality to it.

My art is a little less serious. I hope you'll stop in.

http://www.organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/