Saturday, September 07, 2019

My Five O'Clock Appointment


Click Here to Bid (8x8in. - starts at $100)

I'm off on my trip, but I pre-posted this one painting. This is a spot I painted years ago, on my first trip into the Sierras. The first painting was done in the morning, and this was late afternoon, so the light was completely different. You may not even recognize it as the same place. Well, and this new view is shifted over a bit to the right. They do share one tree.

At any rate, it was late enough in the afternoon that the light was changing very fast, so I only had time for a quick lay-in. This was on the second to last day of our trip, so I knew I had to get back to the same spot the next day if I wanted to finish it. So I went around the next day telling everyone I had a 5 o'clock appointment I couldn't miss. They laughed but understood, since several of them had similar "appointments."

I got there early, around 4, set up, and sat in the shade while I waited. Eventually I got bored, so I started working on the areas in the light, and the distant mountains. After that I started really trying to design the rocks in a pleasing way, because the reality was a little awkward, which is often the case outside. I ended up learning a lot more this way, because it made me really THINK about what I was doing, especially the design/composition. Before I knew it, the whole thing had come together, and it wasn't even 5 yet! I waited a little while longer to make sure the value relationships were all "correct," packed it up, and hiked back to camp for a G&T.

I will resume shipping again as late as 9/18/19.

No comments: