Wednesday, April 03, 2019

People Watching


Click Here to Bid (8x8in. - starts at $100)

Last summer when I was teaching in France, my students and I would sometimes roam around a market or village taking pictures. Here I captured one of my students capturing the same scene that appealed to me.

Meanwhile, I got an email today asking me to talk about the brushes I use. To the right is a big jar filled with brushes I have acquired over the years (bought or been given). It looks nice on my table, and I do use some of them once in a while.

But these are my workhorse brushes (for my small paintings). They are all Silver Bristlon. The smallest is a filbert, the rest are brights. The filbert is a size 2 (I use it for drawing). The brights are sizes 4, 6 and 8. I use the different sizes based on the size of the stroke I want to make.

I replace each of these about once a month, when the bristles start to splay and I can't get crisp edges anymore. But I paint 4-8 hours a day, at least 5 days a week, which I call heavy use. I paint on Ampersand Gessobord panels - these brushes work very well on this surface. If I worked on canvas, I might use something different. Rosemary makes a brush called Ivory that is pretty much identical to mine. Let me know if you have any questions. : )

No comments: