Monday, August 21, 2017

Tourists in France


Click Here to Bid (6x6in. - starts at $100)

I decided to take some process shots for this one because I ended up doing it a little differently than I usually do. Normally I try to get the people pretty well finished before I start on the background (because they're islands, which you'll understand if you've read my book). But this time I decided to block in everything first, and then refine the people, which worked amazingly well!

In this way I was able to see all the relationships (proportion, value, color, etc.) before I committed to exact placement of important features like faces, hands, feet, etc. I still treated some things as "vulnerable" islands, like the guy's bright red shirt - that was the first thing I blocked in.

I find over and over that there is no one method that always works! Each subject/painting requires fresh eyes and a unique approach. That is why I will never get tired of it. Painting is ALWAYS a challenge.

No comments: