Thursday, March 26, 2015

Coy Cow


Click Here to Bid (6x6in.)

Last weekend I had the pleasure of watching my friend Sarah demo a portrait painting (she teaches, by the way). She used a palette knife to pre-mix several piles of paint. Her method after that for applying the paint involved a different order of things than my usual way. It seemed to work very well for her, so I came home and tried it out right away, on some of the "funny face photos" you guys sent me like...3 years ago. Here's the first one. It wasn't a complete success, but there are some HUGE benefits of pre-mixing that I had never considered. There are also some cons. I'll do a little bit more testing and then I'll lay out my observations, with bullet points and all that snazzy stuff. : )

I won't post these for sale (because they are just practice), but if you recognize the face as something you sent me and like it enough to spring for shipping, it's yours!

The cow above is also pre-mixed. And using the same general method Sarah used. Not island to ocean - I'll tell you that much. More soon!

Ps. Thank you all so much for your kind words about my friend Bren. It means a lot to me.

3 comments:

Susan Williamson said...

I LOVE this heifer and your book! Can't wait to read more about what you learned!!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

LOVE cows! This is absolutely AWESOME!!!!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I know sometimes our Mary makes piles of color, too, and I can never do it. I make piles and then think they're not actually the colors I'm looking for! But there's no bad way of painting, and we should all try all the methods - you never know what's going to stick!