Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Pam in the Doorway


sold

It's been a while, but this is another one of my Pam project paintings. Pam is a friend who agreed to pose for me around her house while I took a million photographs. I'm waiting for her to get home from Tucson now so I can take pictures of her grandkids. (come home Pam!)

Yesterday I discovered something new. Well, two things actually. Some friends told me about the Savvy Painters podcasts, which are very cool (the first thing). And I decided to listen to an episode while I painted. Usually I listen to music, and this has always worked really well for me. I've talked to people who listen to other things and I could never understand. I assumed I wouldn't be able to concentrate on both things. But something funny happened - as far as I can figure, while half of my brain was engaged by the talking, the other half painted without distraction, and without over-thinking! And I ended up doing a painting I was really happy with. Not this one (not that I'm not happy with this one - I actually LOVE it). But I'm ahead by a few paintings. I'll point out the first painting when I get to it. Meanwhile I am listening to all kinds of things now while I paint, and actually learning some things even. And loving it.

8 comments:

Ron Wilson said...

I love the coppery color, a most successful painting with strong compo and artistic expression. Well done - more 'radio' to ya!
Ron

Nora MacPhail said...

I love this painting! It's very relaxed and the light is fantabulous!!
I play my numerous painting DVD's while I paint. I love them. British artist David Curtis has lots and his voice, accent and all, is lovely. He paints in oil and watercolour.
Have a fab Holiday Season Carol! And of course, Happy Painting!

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

fabulous, Carol, simply fabulous!

marc said...

Very original view.
I like!

Karen Werner said...

Such a unique painting, and as usual one of your strong designs. I love it. Thanks for the info about podcasts. I'll look for that. I could use some of that kind of thinking while I paint!

Clare Murray Adams said...

I love the view point and the reflection in the doorway.
Your use of planes rather than rounded forms adds an emotional quality to the work.

Cathy said...

I love this painting too!! And how very interesting what you tell us about what you listened while painting. I must try that sometime too!!

Paul R said...

I often listen to books on tape when I paint or draw. I have an Amazon Audible membership (about $15 a month, plus a daily cheapie special, and regular sales) or free from https://librivox.org
The latter are not professionally recorded, but can be just fine!