Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"Forbidden Love" - SOLD



Click Here to Bid

After puzzling over a strange rash that has literally taken over my face the last couple of days, I have finally determined that I touched some poison ivy in the backyard. My hands are apparently not sensitive to it at all, and I must have touched my face afterwards - a lot. It is INSANELY itchy and I can hardly think of anything else. After trying an oatmeal mask, vinegar, baking soda, hydrocortizone, desitin (yes, baby butt cream), benadryl and calamine, I have established that it's going to itch no matter what. For those of you who've had it, you know what I mean. For those of you who haven't, I hope you never have to live in this kind of hell!

21 comments:

Carolina said...

Sorry to hear about that rash. I hope it goes away really soon.
The 'rash' painting came out as if you were in your best moment, very nice :)

Catherine Jeffrey said...

Hi Carol
I can sympathize...I tried to cut down an ivy in my backyard, and sure enough, it was poison oak... very similar to poison ivy. You will suffer and be miserable. I also had it on my face, go figure. One of the most painful experiences ever!!!***!!!! It will go away one day.

Terry Rafferty said...

arrgh. I'm very allergic to the stuff and have scars to prove it (DON'T pick and scratch at it!!) So sorry you got into it... other than what you have tried, one of the best treatments I have found is keeping the areas cool and staying out of the heat.

I don't leave comments often, but I do so enjoy your paintings, your posts and your titles - this one is perfect!

Honor Woodard said...

Hi Carol - I feel your pain. I've had the experience more times than I would ever wish on anyone. Get thee to a health food store and buy some NatraBio brand homeopathic drops called Rhus Toxicodendron (Not sure about spelling there). It's the only thing that has ever worked for me and it seems to keep me from getting as often or as bad over time. You just use it for a few days and PI should subside. Good luck sleeping.

Jo Castillo said...

Hope you get better quickly. This apple is super. Love the sassy color.

Johnnie Sielbeck said...

That poison ivy is pure misery!! Sun Harvest and Whole Foods have an oak&ivy-away spray, the only thing I've found that helped. Sorry, can't remember the name, but just ask and they'll help you find it. And Terry's right -- stay cool. Hope it's better soon.

James said...

You can get a steroid to treat poison ivy. They can treat it orally or with a shot, I believe. My niece would have to go to the doctor whenever she got in it as a kid.

Maura Fine said...

Sorry to hear about your run in with the Poison Ivy!
This painting is sweet and I LOVE the title for this, you've kept you're sense of humor in spite of the nasty Poison Ivy;)

leo said...

Your perfect expression of brilliance shines through in this painting. I would like to pay you for all you have shown me through your work with a Christian Science treatment to heal the effects of poison ivy or whatever seems to have caused the discomfort you are experiencing. If you are still in need of healing and willing for me to treat you, please send me an email at leoraplatte@yahoo.com.

Peter Lee said...

Hi Carol,
Sorry to hear your suffering from the poison ivy. I've done some google search and found the following advice from FamilyDoctor.org:

...

How is poison ivy treated?

Once a rash starts to develop, there are several over-the-counter medications you can use to relieve the itching, including:

* Hydrocortisone creams (brand name: Cortizone-10)
* Calamine lotion
* Antihistamine tablets (one brand name: Benadryl)
* Oatmeal baths

You should call your doctor if:

* You have fever over 100 degrees
* The rash covers large areas of your body
* The rash is in your eyes, mouth or on your genital area
* There is pus coming from the blisters
* The rash does not get better after a few days

...

Hope this would help your situation.
By the way, I love your apple. Look so real - actually better than real with your wonderful strokes.
Thank you for posting such masterpieces everyday.

L.Holm said...

My sympathies! Have had it before, and it's miserable. :-( Hope you're feeling better soon. If it gets worse, get to the doc for some prednisone.

Your painting is fantastic!

Peter Lee said...

Hi Carol,

Here is another finding for the poison ivy treatment:
Source: www.home-remedies-for-you.com

Poison Ivy home remedies and natural cures, Questions and answers
Use of aloe vera juice

Rub alcohol to the affected area, then rinse it with water and later wash with soap and water. Wet the infected area and rub plain table salt on it, this will not only relieve the victim but also stop further spread. Rub the inner side of a banana peel on the rash. This will help you to relieve itching. Place the infected area under running water. This will wash away histamines which cause itching of skin. Pour 3 cups of oats into warm water and soak the infected area into it. Simultaneously rub the affected area. Doing this will relieve you of itching. Mix 1/4 cup of bleach with 3/4 cup of warm water and apply to the affected area using a washcloth. This will kill the poison within 2 to 3 days. Apply aloe vera juice over the affected area, this will cool and provide instant relief.

Hope you get better soon!

Cheryl said...

Gosh, sorry to hear about the itch - I have NO help to offer you. Hang it there - it can't last for much longer...
Nice painting - must be a good diversion for you...

Bobbi Heath said...

Beautiful painting! I love the shadow side of the apple and the negative space around the flower. As to the poison ivy, much sympathy from a fellow sufferer. My doc gives me a cortisone shot, which really works.

Liz said...

So now you are truly a suffering artist! Well, it certainly has not hurt your painting. This one is wonderful!

DSM said...

Carol, I had similar reactions after touching my face after handling pressure-treated wood. HEY! Aren't you building a studio? I switched from bare handed to gloves for the rest of that project.

Nice p'ting; is the 'glow' color that citron lurking in the background? DSM

Double "D" said...

Sorry about the poison ivy ...
leaves of 3 leave them be.

Your commitment to a painting a day is inspiring.
I really enjoy the energy in your brush strokes and the wonderful colors you achieve. You have great blog because there is a reason to come back everyday.
Keep painting.

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Carol, So sorry to hear about your allergic rash. I have been in that situation a couple of times. What has helped me, is going to the MD and getting a cortisone shot. Immediate relief.

Katie Wilson-Bernatas said...

Carol,
My experience with poison ivy -- one week coming, one week going. I like the painting... as always.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Sooooo sorry to hear about the rash... no fun. You have my utmost sympathy and prayers too.

We've dealt with it before and found that aloe vera gel (esp. the kind that has a little novacaine) is helpful to relieve the horrible itching. It also helps to keep the gel in the fridge and apply it cold. It's handy for sunburn too.

Hope you're better soon.

raeandrewsgallery.blogspot.com said...

Love this apple Carol, great little painting!
Rae