Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"Pear in a Cup" --- SOLD



I've seen a couple still lives recenly in magazines with polka-dot vases. I love how sketchy and suggested the polka-dots can be and still be recognizable. I think these are my most successfully sketchy dots yet. The trick was getting the cup totally painted without them, and then putting the dots in last.

Someone asked today in a comment about my medium. For those of you who haven't read it or heard it in my workshop, here's my recipe: 2 parts linseed oil, 1 part stand oil and 1 part turp/mineral spirits. I use Gamsol mineral spirits because it is my understanding that it is currently the safest choice because it's 100% pure. This medium works really well for me in extending my paint for more coverage. I like my paint a little thinner than straight out of the tube. Also, I like the slight gloss I get, even when it dries. In order to get an even gloss, I've got to use medium pretty regularly with every bit of paint I put down.

No comments: