Saturday, May 21, 2022

Soaking Up the Sun

 

Click Here to Bid (6x6in. - Oil. - starts at $100)

Art supplies are getting more expensive. Panels are almost twice as much as I paid for them a few years ago, so I've been experimenting with making my own. This painting is on a piece of birch hardboard that I gessoed and sanded five times. I couldn't get it as smooth as the Ampersand gessobords I normally use. Does anyone know if you can spray gesso? I have a feeling that's the only way to get it smooth. So far I've tried brushing and rolling and even squeegee-ing. Thanks!

2 comments:

Pat Bollin said...

Beautiful as always! Long time fan. I follow you all over the web, but this is the first time I've visited any blog in years. What's your engagement like here? I'm kind of trying to decide if I should shut down my own inactive blog, or try to revive it. Thanks

Shelby Dillon said...

Hi Carol! After I took a workshop with Karin Jurick, I fell in love with flat, smooth panels. I spray painted some of them black and some of them an approximation of burnt sienna, and then used oil on top of them. I made sure to use water based paint as the base. It wasn't gesso, per se, but I have never had an issue with them. (This was 10+ years ago) I bet you could use the Montana spray acrylics for a similar effect.