Thursday, February 11, 2021

Sharing Secrets

 

Click Here to Bid (6x6in. - OIL - starts at $100)

This is the last of my little daisy paintings. I've learned a lot that I can apply to the larger ones I will be doing. Mostly I've learned that what can look good to my eye does not always translate to paint. Not that I didn't already know this ... it just got reiterated to me. But that's life, right? We learn the same lessons over and over and over.

I also wanted to mention that, while I normally paint still lifes from life, I did these from photos. In the past I've used my DSLR camera, but this time I used my phone (Samsung Galaxy 10 - really good camera). I set the size to 1:1 (square) because I knew I wanted to paint square paintings. This REALLY helped me to compose, as opposed to using whatever aspect ratio my camera is normally set to, because I could get it looking good to my eye right from the beginning. Now that I'm thinking about it, I can probably set my DSLR camera to square as well ... not sure why I didn't think of that.

No comments: