Wednesday, December 02, 2020

Cups Bouncing Color

 

sold. (10x10in. - OIL - $400)

A few months ago I decided to quit painting the little, 6x6in still lifes (after 14 years of mostly that). At the time I thought I might be done with still life altogether. But after a few weeks it called to me again and in doing some experiments I realized it was the SIZE I was feeling constrained by. Back in 2006 my compositions were simple - often just one object (see example to the right). But as the years passed I got more ambitious, and it became harder and harder to FIT what I wanted into six-by-six-measly-inches. 

This one of cups isn't a whole LOT bigger, but let me tell you, it makes a big difference in my experience of painting it. And I feel a whole new world of composition possibilities has opened. Which makes me happy. And that's exactly what I was looking to rediscover - the joy.

No comments: