Thursday, January 18, 2018

A New Perspective


Click Here to Bid (6x6in. - starts at $100)

I painted this twice because I got interrupted in the middle of the first one. Does this happen to you? You are in the zone, painting away, when you get a phone call or some other interruption, and by the time you get back to the easel, you have just simply lost your momentum?! You can't remember what the next move was or where you were going with it? Maybe I'm just a delicate flower, but I have a tough time with it. This time though I really liked the composition, so I decided to start over from the beginning. Fortunately I think the second try was even better.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Wonderful painting! I have the same problem, not with a brief interruption but if I have to leave a piece for a few days I find the energy just goes out of it.

Guenevere Schwien said...

I can totally relate. I was wondering what you do in a demo class setting. I often get comments or conversations that derail my attention from the painting and have to find my way back into it. I look back at the painting and wonder what I was just about to do.

Carol Marine said...

Guenevere- Yes, doing a class demo is so hard!!! I think mostly I paint on auto-pilot in class, because I am so focused on what I am teaching. And because of it I never do my best work there. I was taking a workshop from someone once and I saw that their demo wasn't looking great. I thought, well, that doesn't matter - I know they can paint & that's why I'm taking the class. I just want to see HOW they do what they do, and I get that even if the painting isn't their "best." So I figure my students feel the same about me. : ) My theory anyway.