Monday, January 05, 2015

Life in Slow Motion


sold

I got lots of messages after yesterday's post - thanks! You guys were mostly sure the flowers were Echinacea/Coneflowers, but after looking at tons of google images and some more of my own images, I really don't think that's it. I got just a couple of folks saying they thought it might be Pyrethrum Roseum, and the photos definitely match. So there you have it.

Today's flower (I did my research this time!) is a Clematis. I took the photo for this at my friend Mary's house last summer. You may remember a chicken I posted from the same place?

<--I got a fabulous review of my book in Professional Artist Magazine this month! I don't a have a link to the review itself, (or a larger image - sorry!) but in case you'd like to buy this issue...

6 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

'Congrats on the book!!!
The colors are nice in this one.

Alex said...

This is a lovely painting Carol. Very loose and free, with so much happening in the shadows. Hard to believe it's from a photograph. You have been an inspiration for me. I have recently started daily painting, and I can't get enough. Congrats on all your success!

Ann said...

Have your book and it has a lot of useful points for the artist!

Came across the lighting for still life and you mention a Sylvania flood bulb. Have had a lot of difficulty finding this particular 39w, 2800k bulb. Is it a halogen reflector bulb or something else?

Thanks for any "light" you can shed on this. ;)

AnnC

Carol Marine said...

Hi Ann! This bulb is a halogen, and I'm pretty sure I got it at Lowe's, though it might have been from Home Depot. I recently got a 50W Sylvania Halogen that works just as well, though I am using a blue light filter (purchased from artist Qiang Huang) over it. The trick is to find something that works for you!

Lisa Daria said...

That green in this piece is so striking! Particularly with little orange bits on top of that one leaf! I'll scoot by the bookstore today to get a copy of Professional Artist Magazine - looking forward to reading the review - congratulations, Carol!

Unknown said...

Great painting.