Friday, December 12, 2014
As many of you know, I got pretty burnt out a couple of years ago with painting - specifically still life. Here are the things that helped me heal in the 2 years since then:
1. Trying different things (other mediums, classes, subjects, etc.)
2. Not painting when I didn't feel like it.
3. Talking to artist friends for support and suggestions.
4. Taking time to get bored (and re-inspired).
5. Uhhhh, wine.
6. And specifically, though I'm sort of repeating number 1, painting a variety of subjects.
It's awfully nice to know I have a whole slew of things I can paint when I wake up in the morning, and not JUST cups or apples. And while I've been enjoying these "other" subjects (cows, cats, trucks, people, etc.), sometimes I get a hankering to paint cups again. And it's usually been long enough that I remember all over again why I fell in love with still life in the first place. Which is awesome!