Saturday, February 08, 2014

Mickey Mouse for Breakfast


sold

Many thanks to our neighbor, Skip, for bringing us some gorgeous farm fresh eggs. I think he intended for us to eat them (and we did eat some), but I just had to paint the blue/green shells!

And now for my next helpful tip. TIP #2: This one came from my husband. He suggested I buy a giant roll of canvas, cut shapes out (vaguely square and rectangular), tape them to a board, and do little studies on them. This seemed like a good idea but I didn't realize how GREAT an idea it was until I actually did it. At first I was reluctant because it seemed like time wasted. But the benefit was that I had a total mental shift from: this is something I am going to sell so it has to be good - TO -  this is a chance for me to try anything, and no one will ever have to see it! After I did a couple of little studies I had a whole new plan of attack for my non-studies. I will do more of these on a regular basis, whenever I feel like I'm tightening back up again. And no, please don't tell me I can always stretch the canvas afterwards - the whole point is that I won't!

A quick note about tips and suggestions. One big thing I've discovered in my life is that I need different things at different times, and sometimes those things are exactly the opposite. For example, when I first started painting I needed a schedule to keep me from procrastinating. Now I need the opposite. So even though these tips I'm sharing are working for me, now, they may not be right for you. Each of us has to figure out what we need and when, and THAT is the hard part.

10 comments:

Bruno G. Valencia said...

muy bonito!

Nancy Colella said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing these valuable tips. Every little bit helps!

Penelope Lentz said...

Great idea. I've always wondered if it felt different painting on something glued down vs not. Miracle Muck is good if you decide you just gotta sell one of those...just sayin'. :-)

Barbara Pask said...

Excellent in every way.

Debbie said...

Love this painting Carol. Beautiful blue/green inside the egg shells!Love the transparent glass--you are soooo good at painting glass! I'm sure your neighbour would be happy to see his eggs in paint! Thanks so much for your Tips--and so true about how our needs change. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I really like the tips...not to mention the great paintings... and the oh-so-clever titles. I just got accepted as an oil painter at the gallery where I show my watercolors. Thanks to your excellent instruction at the Door County workshop last October.

Gracie Hampton Studio said...

Beautiful!!!

martine paquet said...

Thank you for sharing, Carol!
Love the transparency!

Unknown said...

What kind of tape do you use to put the canvas on the board?
Thanks!

Carol Marine said...

Thanks you guys! Joani - I use artist tape, like this: http://www.dickblick.com/products/artist-tape/