Sunday, January 13, 2013

Morning Light


sold

Lots to report! First my workshop in Texas last week. I tried to bribe my kids with chocolate this time so they would behave. It mostly worked but a few of them still had to do push-ups (mostly for inappropriate language). Artists - pah! Here they are concentrating during a timed exercise.



And here's all but one, at the end of the week, thoroughly brainwashed and scared into submission. "That Carol," they say, "what a tyrant!"


Just one more thing and then I'll save the rest for my next post. I got a new computer and it's really cool, but I'm having trouble getting the colors adjusted just right on the screen. Do any of you have any experience getting a special (expensive) calibration tool and having it be worth the cost? If so, which one? Thanks!

8 comments:

liz wiltzen said...

Hey Carol, I have the Spyder3Elite by datacolor- it's a great monitor calibrator. Think they have advanced to Spyder4Elite now, here's a link: http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder4elite/

Peter Barker said...

Hi Carol, I bought a Spyder 2 Colorimeter for my screen and it's brilliant! They recommend re-calibrating it every month, but I hardly ever redo mine - the colours stay perfect for a very long time in my experience, so if you can find someone near you who has one, see if you can ply them with chocolate and borrow it! Hope that helps, your colleague across the pond x

Taryn Day said...

Carol, I use SPYDER Pro version 3, and am very happy with it.

Jen Evenhus said...

You always make me laugh out loud when you talk about your "kids"...pushups reminds me of my daughter who is a high school girl's BB coach...re:punishment haha

Julienne Jaworski said...

I've been viewing your series with anticipation. The eggs are fantastic. Love the color subtlety .

Desiree said...

I was a professional photographer, and I calibrated my screen without one of those expensive things. Google it, and you will see that you can change the way the screen looks. Are you looking at calibrating for the purpose of printing?

Carol Marine said...

Thanks ya'll! I just ordered the spyder calibrator and eagerly await its arrival.

Desiree- My goal is to paint from images on my screen. So far all my images appear either too saturated or (if I reduce the saturation) too UNsaturated. It seems every time I calibrate for one image and get it perfect, every other image sucks. I can't seem to find a place where I am happy with all my images, or even several at a time. It is very frustrating. I have been fiddling with the settings for 2 days now.

Barbara Pask said...

Love this new painting Carol! What fun would a workshop be without bad students? lol You are one busy lady, glad you are home for a bit.