Thursday, July 08, 2010

"Scopper-Upper" - SOLD





This was my last painting from Silverton, and the last painting of the trip. I didn't realize how lucky we had been all week with the weather until this painting, when, out of nowhere the clouds came out (partly cloudy is the WORST for plein air). I spent so much time waiting for the sun to come back out, again and again, that by the time I was done it had shifted a ton and the tractor was lit completely differently. Not to mention the background, which I ended up painting mostly as it looked when the shadows came over the hills/mountains, because it contrasted nicely with the tractor.

At any rate, it was a wonderful trip and I can't wait to do it again! Below are the three of us, delirious at the end of a week of painting and camping: me, James Coulter and Penny Lentz.

6 comments:

Steve PP said...

I like the dark BG against the sunny yellows. I partucularly like the bluey green glass light in the cockpit.
Good shapes, Carol!

www.stevepp.co.uk

Susie Gregory said...

hey carol..i've really enjoyed your plein air paintings..my grand kids would call this last one "bob da builder"...there's nothing like painting outside and i think it's so much more fun to find interesting "things" out there instead of just the scenery...too much to look at and all...good work, kiddo!

Sandra Galda said...

I have also enjoyed your trip--thru your blog! Great work Carol, as always! I esp. enjoy the way you indicated the window areas on this vehicle, against the grayed backgroud. The small jolt of blue offers that bit of complimentary contrast you do so well!

Erik van Elven said...

Three happy campers.
Despite the bad conditions I really like the outcome Carol.
Loved your interview on blogtalk radio.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I posted my tractor (on daily painters) for yesterday instead of today! I wouldn't want the comparison :) Nice job Carol.

Angela Sullivan said...

Beautiful once again.