Friday, January 09, 2009

"Four On Red" - SOLD



A while back, a reader asked me a couple of questions (in a comment) that I completely neglected to answer. I was going through my old emails today, found it, and figured I'd answer them here for everyone to see, and Sarah.

Q - If there was one thing you could point to that has helped you with your paintings over the years, what would you say that was?

A - Painting every single day (or as close to that as life will allow)! It's true, and I can't say it enough. There is no secret to painting - just hard work. If you paint every day you will gradually work out your painting muscle and you will get better gradually. If you languish, so will your painting muscle. : )

Q - What artist's did/do you admire and influence you the most?

A - Oh my gosh, where do I start!? It started with John Singer Seargent. What a master! Some other favorites: Burton Silverman, Kim English, Elaine Coffee, Karin Jurick, Jill Carver, Colin Page, Ted Goerschner, Larry Moore - to name a few.

8 comments:

Making A Mark said...

Loving the colours - and interesting to see your thoughts and who has influenced you.

Jo Ann Elig said...

Carol,You inspire me. I read your blog every day.I not only admire your skill but I love the playfulness of your paintings.

JanettMarie said...

Wow, you are a hard worker! How do you decide what to paint every day?

The "straight on" paintings had some interesting compositional results! Nice.

Carol Marine said...

Thanks, ya'll! JanettMarie, I paint whatever strikes me on any given day based on ... well based on what is availabe to me. So if I just bought apples I'll probably do something with them. Otherwise I just root around in my studio until I find something I like at that moment. Thank you about the "straight on" paintings - I think I'll do more of them soon! : )

Sarah said...

Thank you for answering my questions,Carol. All of your info is helpful! I love painting everyday! I really enjoy your paintings when you incorporate plates,cups,spoons,vases,...SO much fun, and so much inspiration!

Theresa Rankin said...

Beautiful Carol and your blog is inspiring!....I can see Ted's influence and Kim English...

Barb Matijevich said...

It's funny, people ask me the same thing about writing and I have the same answer. I write every day (or as close to it as life will allow) and it's been the best thing I've ever done for my writing.

I had a question for you, too, though. Since we've moved to New York and I'm seeing snow for the first time on a regular basis, I find that I'm fascinated with the way it changes the light outside. Have you ever painted snow? If so, how did you go about it? I am no painter (unless you count walls) but I'm just curious! The light is so beautiful but it must be so difficult to capture on canvas...

If you ever get a chance to paint a snow painting, I get first dibs!

Pamela Clarkson said...

Carol--you would also love Carolyn Anderson and Jeremy Mann--two of my favorites