Saturday, February 09, 2008

"Jarring" --- SOLD



Well, ok ... so I wanted to try it again. : ) Glass is fun.

For a while there I got very into the Munsell color wheel and stuck on using complimentary colors schemes. I got to where I was using the same combinations over and over ... and got a little bored with it. So a few weeks ago I decided to create color combinations purely by instinct first, and then check them against the color wheel - or not. I find I like this approach so much better. I actually did a large painting today with a combination of colors I would have never thought of - but it's maybe my all-time favorite painting. It's a great feeling!

5 comments:

Dani Brandimarte said...

You're such a tease, now I HAVE to see that large painting. I love this one, especially the colors so I think you're on to something about losing the color wheel.

Michael Dooney said...

Love the simplified glass effects, nice!
If you're interested in a whole new way of choosing and understanding color I suggest that you head on over to James Gurney's blog. http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/ He's doing what he calls "color Sundays" where he tackles another aspect of painting in color each week. He's come up with a system that is simple and effective...and his blog is like art school for free!

Ladislav said...

Hi Carol,
I found your blog just a few days ago and I'm hooked up now. I love your works, it's so simple and warm. Combination of colors are wonderful and I like backgrounds where you can see a little bit of underpainting. You definitely mastered well a color and light theory. My compliments also to your passion of making one piece a day.
Keep it up!
Ladislav

Jerry Points said...

Carol...this is a nice warm color solution. I love the reflections on the cup. I noticed in these last two paintings that your brush work is more free and expressive. Are you working faster, or making each stroke count?

Ambera said...

Awesome painting, this is one of the best colour schemes I've seen. So much fun!f