Wednesday, August 01, 2007

"Red Delicious" --- SOLD



With this one I wanted to experiment with: 1. a composition with just one thing in it, 2. the edges of that thing, and 3. the variation in color of the background. What, me, pick just one thing? -Never- I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, though the apple seems kind of lonely.

So, what I learned is: 1. having one thing in a composition leaves that thing kind of lonely, 2. if I paint past the edges with one color (red, in this example) and then cut back in with the other color (green-ish here) it produces this kind of edge, and 3. As long as the value is correct and the color is relatively close, I can put all kinds of color bits in with another (as with the bits of purple and yellow and blue in the green).

1 comment:

Elio said...

I like the harmony in this painting.

Nice.

E