Friday, July 13, 2007

"Confrontation" --- SOLD



I will be teaching a 3-day workshop in Sacramento CA, October 19th, 20th, & 21st, at the 20th St. Art Gallery. If you are interested in attending, please visit the 20th Street website and click on the "upcoming" link. You can contact the gallery to register.

Usually I put an undercoat on my panels right before I paint so that I have a nice color to begin with, and so that my surface is just a little wet (I find it helps the paint spread). To do this I thin a color with a lot of turp, paint it over the surface, and then wipe it off well with a paper towel. Sometimes I end up wiping a panel later because the painting isn't turning out, and don't get to paint on it again until the next day. When that happens, I have a dry undercoat, as with this painting. I find it gives me an interesting result, especially when the majority of the painting is a light color.

3 comments:

wanda knight said...

This one makes me smile. I really like the warm shadows under the pears.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Helen Read said...

Since I've found your blog, Carol, I look forward to seeing what you are doing day by day... this is another wonderful one!!

Ady said...

I wish I lived way over the ocean ... where you are! Then I could attend your workshop! I lurk a lot here and am a big fan of your work. Yours is one of the first sites I go to every morning. Thanks for sharing your wonderful work with us. Any chance of a step-by-step demo of one of your paintings here on your blog? All the best with the workshop!
Ady (Birmingham, UK)