Monday, May 21, 2007

"Nail Polish" --- n/a


I'm still experimenting with color here. Unfortunately my photo didn't capture all the subtlety in the "white." One thing I discovered a while back that ya'll might find interesting...sometimes I put 2 lights on my subject. One is a spotlight that is rather yellow (though it's supposed to be daylight), and the other is an expensive daylight light that is REALLY white. I shine the spotlight right on the subject, and turn the daylight light up so that it bounces off the white sheet I've got over my setup box. This creates a nice complementary shadow (there, I've given away my secret), though I think I might have overdone it here. Or something. I'm not sure I'm quite into this enough to sell it. But that's the beauty of daily painting - there's always tomorrow!

7 comments:

Debbie Miller said...

Hey Carol you picked my title! Spot On because your paintings always are...even your experiments. Are you familar with Peggy Kroll Roberts?(www.krollroberts.com) She paints this subject alot, I think you'll like her work.
I'm really liking your text...its my morning read with coffee :)

Jeff Mahorney said...

Loved hearing about your setup. Can we see a picture? I'd love to know anything more about your process.

:)
jeff

Brendy Vaughn said...

I love that you are giving us information about your processes. I'd like to see a picture of your set up to.

Any plans to teach in the Austin/San Antonio area?

Carol Marine said...

Thanks again for the title, Debbie. Yes, I have heard of Peggy Kroll - she's great!

Brendy, I hope to give a workshop in Austin sometime in the next year. Keep checking my blog - when I do I'll post it over on the right side like I did with my santa fe workshop.

Amy Stewart said...

I love this! What a great thing to paint.

Chris said...

This painting reminds me of one of my favorites, Wayne Thiebaud. Thanks for sharing your lighting process.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

this is all such great info to re read. My lighting and set up could be greatly improved and I think your genius hubby's invention is terrific. Thanks for sharing.