Thursday, May 24, 2007

"Citrus Bowl" --- SOLD



Carol's New Magic Paintbrush.

So, I went down to Jerry's Artarama yesterday to get some stretcher bars for a large commission, and decided to look at brushes. I've been frustrated lately with how my flat brushes get all funny (fluffy and/or curved) after I wash them and have been trying to find a solution. My friend, Jill Carver, a wonderful artist, suggested clamping a folded piece of cardboard over them (with the flat edge in the fold) after washing and letting them dry that way. That worked pretty well, but I still wasn't satisfied.

What I found at Jerry's was that I had been buying the cheapest brushes available (what - me - cheap? - no!). So without looking at prices, I walked around and checked out the MANY different brush types and picked out what looked like the sturdiest brush. It turned out to be about $16, so I bought just one to try out. In case you're interested, it's a Winsor & Newton Monarch Flat size 10. And it turns out to be magic. It puts down these perfect little blocks of happy color, and I am thrilled with the result! I can't wait to paint with it again tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the effect you where able to achieve with your new "magic" brush. Is there one that would make my portraits magically masterful?

Tom Brown said...

Haven't seen your work in awhile and just stumbled upon it again. Love it - great work!

Tom Brown
http://tombrownfineart.blogspot.com

Linda Warner Constantino said...

I believe the the painter Richard Schmid does the folded paper thing because his work really depends on lost and found edges. He also uses a palette knife in a way that does not look over done.
Love the glow in this piece.

Linda Warner Constantino

TK said...

Hi Carol,

Ah, so, you found my favorite brush!!! ;D I discovered them about four months ago after just picking up painting again in January, and am working on completing a set of the filberts at least, with the flats a close second. If you like those and want somethin just a bit different, try the Princeton Art & Brush Co. flats (you seem to favor flats, I used to but have fallen for the filbert after 30 years!). The Princeton is a nice alternative to bristle (try the Dick Blick Masterstroke bristle for reasonable price and great performance), and as a synthetic bristle has a bit softer flexibility I like after there is already some paint on the canvas, and they hold their shape beautifully.
Oh, and yes, I love your work, you are a wonderful inspiration! :D
Best Wishes,
TK Temple